guess the burn

Food — By Crust on April 22, 2009

What cook can guess how I got this burn?
dsc004242

13 Comments

1. Kyle Michael says:

hummmm shiting it? Hahahahaha.

2. Silvaplate says:

its curved so it can’t be the oven racks or even the oven door.You must have reached for something on the back burners and you touched the rim of either a saute pan or sauce pot.

3. Colleen says:

I’m going to say it’s the end of an industrial spoon. Slotted or otherwise.

4. Colleen says:

Or the handle of a frypan.

5. Kyle Michael says:

Maybe a spider you left in the water, with the flame touching it for a nice period of time!

6. Crust says:

Colleen was closest/right it was the end of a spider I left across the top of my blanching pot. I grabbed the spider by the middle with a cloth and the end which had been over the flame touched my fore arm. I asked people to guess because I’ve done it before and I thought maybe someone else would have done it to.

Kyle you’re not allowed to guess because I told you already!

7. Mum says:

What is a spider?

8. Crust says:

I don’t know how to describe it.. it is a round metal thing with a screen over the ring and a long metal handle for getting things out of water or oil.

9. Colleen says:

Once I had a burn that was a curved line with 4 perfect dots along side it. It was the relief pattern on the side of some plates that I had been warming in the oven. They got a bit hot, (obviously) and then I took them out to start plating. The top one caught me on the forearm. I can’t see the scar anymore because I’ve burnt myself so many times.

10. Matt R. says:

Nice. You burn yourself less as you get older I find. And cuts, too.

Oops, I shouldn’t have said that last part.

I like the aloe vera plant in the back ground. Apropos.

11. GQ says:

In my early days I got the convection oven door closed on one side of my face in a perfect straight line……..its funny now.
    GQ

12. ac says:

An FOH manager I worked with once walked herself right into a rack of hot sheet pans. The horizontal lines on her cheek were unmistakable.

Some might say you can’t teach that shit.

13. celeste says:

I once cut my eye on a hot open over door. Like split it open and have a small scar to prove it. The left side of my face was slightly burnt too…it was gross. But now I love most of my scars. Makes me who I am right?